Energy is a hot topic everywhere, especially among the policy makers and researchers who are rising to the challenge of recasting our energy future. Turning that focus and momentum into solid progress requires expertise and experience in undertaking and managing complicated, multi-disciplinary research on many fronts. It’s this unique value that CIEE brings to the table.
This is a multi-line caption for an image floating with the text. Image can float left or right ...
Our researchers and program coordinators are nationally recognized in many fields, and our research administrators have earned a statewide reputation for effectiveness. Thanks to these talented experts, research sponsors look to CIEE as the “go-to” organization for turning ambitious research efforts into concrete results. Our most complex projects have involved multiple funding sources, teams of more than 20 researchers at several institutions, and urgent timelines. CIEE provides both technology innovators and skilled management to keep projects on track, on budget, and on schedule — and to ensure that both sponsors and researchers capitalize on opportunities to advance California’s energy agenda.
CIEE has a 25-year track record in conducting, leading, and managing energy research. The numbers tell the story: to date, CIEE experts have received 470 research awards and managed nearly 1,000 subawards at more than 160 universities, national labs, and research centers. The total value of these awards exceeds $205 million. Critical value-added by CIEE to California's energy initiatives includes the following:
- Engaging utility stakeholders with public interest electric transmission research and development
- Accelerating deployment of California Energy Commission's Public Interest Energy Research (PIER) end-use efficiency technologies
- Filling in lighting technology paths for California Public Utility Commission's "Big Bold Energy Efficiency Goals"
- Advancing the California Public Utility Commission's "Big Bold Energy Efficiency Goals" as a key player in the development of it's Long Term Energy Efficiency Strategic Plan chapter on Lighting
- Accelerating development of enabling technologies for demand-side energy management
- Identifying and coordinating expert perspectives to guide strategic planning and evaluation for energy efficiency
- Leading the integration of social-science research into energy-efficiency initiatives.