The California Institute for Energy and Environment (CIEE) is a dedicated group of experts who define, conduct, and manage public-interest energy research. Based in the University of California, at CITRIS and the Banatao Institute, CIEE puts its experts and other leading researchers from universities, government, industry, and nonprofits, to work on energy challenges, yielding new ideas and technologies to meet California’s pace-setting energy goals.
As a writing/editorial assistant, you’ll work alongside experts and leadership across and beyond the UC Berkeley campus to distill complex information into compelling stories. You’ll help produce content in multiple formats such as press releases, news articles, blog posts, social media copy, e-newsletter text, and more.
Typical tasks consist of interviewing a researcher about their groundbreaking work, drafting a press release to announce a new industry partnership, developing engaging social media copy, and working with department staff to develop media designed to promote our unique capabilities and successes.
- Grow your portfolio by applying your editorial passion to create engaging content
- Make a positive impact by highlighting research aimed to benefit society
- Gain insight into a multi-campus, multidisciplinary research environment with connections to industry partners interested in energy science, technology, and policy
- Take part in team brainstorming sessions and pitch ideas
- Have flexible hours with opportunities for remote work
- Research: In partnership with the communications team, you’ll identify, research, and plan the development of engaging content focused on building engagement and awareness of CIEE research initiatives and programs for a range of audiences. This will include interviewing, fact-checking, and pitching ideas to promote our researchers, faculty, students, industry partners, and their respective projects.
- Writing and Editing: Draft and publish content to highlight our research, news, people, and programs. Write news articles and briefs, blogs, e-newsletters, and press releases that translate complex technical information into an easily digestible format for the general public. Web publishing may include WordPress and social media channel formats.
- Communications: Support team members as needed by performing digital communications, event coverage, and other duties.
- Currently enrolled in a BA, BS, or Master’s program at UC Berkeley, preferably in Journalism or English, and available throughout the academic year (August–May), with a minimum enrollment expected at UC Berkeley through Fall 2022.
- Minimum of 1-2 years of experience writing and editing published content in a science or technology-related environment
- Must be able to work independently and meet deadlines with minimal supervision
- Strong communication skills and ability to appropriately represent CIEE when coordinating with staff, students, and faculty
- Familiarity with/interest in energy and sustainability
- Experience with web publishing to WordPress
- Experience writing SEO-friendly content
- Experience with Airtable is a plus
Start Date, Hours & Location
- Start date: August 2022
- End date: December 2022, with possibility for extension
- Schedule: Maximum 20 hours per week, available through the academic year (August-May)
- Location: Sutardja Dai Hall, UC Berkeley campus (will observe COVID-19 remote work plans as instructed by the campus)
One position is available. The pay rate is $20/hour.
Please provide your resume, a brief cover letter (optional), and two to three writing samples. Apply now via Handshake (#6684053) or Work-Study (#8356874848), or by emailing your application to email@example.com as a single PDF file.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. The position will remain open until fulfilled.