The EcoBlock concept was motivated by urgent societal questions and California legal mandates related to climate change and urban vulnerability:
• How can we implement deep decarbonization in the most timely manner, without having to re-build a majority of housing and infrastructure?
• Specifically, how can we best reduce the resource use and carbon footprint of buildings and vehicles?
• How can essential services be provided to residents when the electric grid is disrupted?
• How can such a major transition unfold in a modular, affordable way that includes all communities?
A Multi-Customer Microgrid Solution Electrical system will combine Distributed Energy Resources (DER):
• Communal rooftop solar PV
• Communal energy storage system (flywheel and/or battery)
• Intelligent loads and electric demand response
• Shared Electric vehicle (EV) charging
• Smart controls in a direct-current (DC) microgrid infrastructure behind a single interconnection with the utility.